03.15.08

Here comes Maybank Visa Debit Card

Posted in E-commerce, Payment Gateway at 11:22 pm by adrianoh

Visa Debit CardMaybank just launched a new visa debit card which ties to your saving or current account. Very likely this card can be used to withdraw Paypal funds.

Being Malaysia largest bank in terms of both market capital and internet banking users, this will mean a major push for debit card usage in the country. Interesting to watch is, will it hamper the bankcard (comprises of ATM, e-debit and MEPS Cash) initiative by MEPS, a so-called government flagship project in moving towards a cashless society?

Seems like there’s a lot of things a VISA debit card can do but the bankcard cannot. Strictly from a consumer point of view, i really don’t see any reason why i want to use Bankcard to spend instead of Visa Debit Card. So debit card will prevail, and below are the reasons why.

Below is a brief comparison of our very own bankcard vs Visa-branded debit card

maybank visa debit card maybank bankcard edebit meps cash atm
  Visa Debit Card Bank Card
Online Shopping? Yes. As long as the website using a payment system supporting Visa Debit, eg WorldPay. Which a lot of ecommerce website does. Yes, but requires a special card reader and only works with website that supports MEPS Cash? my comment: forget about it, who will want to dig out extra cash buying a card reader & carrying it around just so “uncool”!
Buying things from shops around the world? Yes, it works like a credit card, the only difference is that the amount spent is deducted directly from your saving / current account. Looks like a VISA card, works like a check. You can only spend the amount you have in your account. Since it’s VISA, of course it’s accepted by merchants and worldwide. Restricted to Malaysia merchants only. according to Maybank, only about 2500 of them locally. So even if AirAsia can fly you to Goldcoast, you probably will find your bankcard “useless” there.
Withdraw your saving / current account money from any ATM? Yes, you can do this in any ATM worldwide supporting PLUS. This of course including our local banks ATM, most of them support PLUS. Limited. Only local banks ATM and also certain ASEAN country ATM only. This again provided the foreign bank ATM compatible with both MEPS and the local issuing bank. Eg only Maybank Bankcard support money withdrawal to Thailand, Singapore and Indoensia ATM. Again, if you are flying AirAsia to China carrying only bankcard, i wish you good luck.

Some related links and news:

Maybank Targets 1 Million Maybankard Visa Debit Cards In 12 Months

Maybank targets RM1b debit card spending by end-2008

MEPS in card tie-up with China UnionPay

Wise up to role of smart card

Learn more about history of Bankcard (history as in this supposedly an official website of bankcard is not updated as of time of writing, the promotion on the website dated back to 2005, hello…. directors, are you sleeping?)

Learn more about MEPS Cash

47 Comments »

1. Michael Woo said,

March 17, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Ah another great way to withdraw paypal. it’s so new at the moment and not 100% sure that this card can be used to withdraw paypal funds.

But knowing that it has plus service now it’s a big boost especially that you can withdraw your money anywhere – worldwide.

I’ve been using etrade at the moment. maybe this is a good alternative..

2. admin said,

March 17, 2008 at 9:59 pm

hi michael, it’s not known yet at time whether it works or not. But seem thus far VISA-branded debit card very likely to “work”. Anyway, i’m sure you will soon find the answer in the blogosphere.

3. Blog Marketing said,

March 17, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Michael: I have called up the Maybank customer service toll free number, apparently they told me it is not “compatible” to the PayPal withdrawal. However, don’t take my word, you are encourage to go ahead to try it out. Maybe you can proof to the staff you are right!!

Check out my review here too:

Adrian: Thanks for your comments in my blog.

Regards,
    Steven Wong

4. Faiz Wahab said,

March 20, 2008 at 10:41 am

Hey man. I’ve tried the maybankard debit card VISA. And sadly to say.. this card doesn’t support Paypal, Google Checkout or any other type of internet transaction.

I’ve tried it and it says there “Your card has been denied by your bank”. I’ve called the customer service and apparently.. this card can’t be used for internet transaction. What a bummer. So the only choice is still Public Bank debit card and Tunemoney.

5. lankapo said,

March 26, 2008 at 11:51 am

lor cannot use with paypal…and internet transaction ?
    hmm what a waste.. maybank should rectify this

6. Umarzuki said,

March 26, 2008 at 1:07 pm

What a bummer, man..it took me considerable amount of time to get it but then it cannot be used for paypal…*sigh*

7. Faiz Wahab said,

March 29, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Can’t be helped guys.

Seems like we have to use PB and Tunemoney. :(

8. shaiful said,

April 7, 2008 at 5:39 pm

maybank officer stated all online transaction including paypal …may can be used after jun 2008

9. mozai said,

April 9, 2008 at 11:44 pm

just very keen to work on co-branding with existing big membership comunity to use this product as value added and extra benefit for their membership card with maybank visa debit…great opportunity…

10. FuGZ said,

April 18, 2008 at 5:47 pm

funny, i got the debit card, purchasing items is not a problem via Visa.

But online and paypal, my card got declined. Called the customer serv. and they said, e-commerce not available yet till June or July.

11. denin said,

April 20, 2008 at 3:40 pm

so sad, big name in banking. but still in bad condition…

12. jakun-nya said,

April 29, 2008 at 9:01 pm

hahahah ..visa debit card.
    Online transaction still declined.

13. thiam said,

April 30, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Hi guys, I’ve been having problems withdrawing funds with my etrade visa debit card from Malaysian ATMs. Previously, no problem but now the ATMs reject the card…Anyone having the same problem?

14. adamknox said,

May 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm

yeah same here too. getting frustrated about this, it’s been 3 days now i think. is it just Maybank? are there any other alternative banks i can withdraw from? or is this the end for etrade debit cards? boo hoo :(

15. walter kho said,

June 2, 2008 at 4:43 pm

i tried to purchase online but got declined. what a waste. should have gone for PB debit card.

16. khairul said,

June 7, 2008 at 10:20 pm

im at japan rite now.

But why i can’t do any payment by my visa debit card?
    Still have some in acc.

please, anyone??

17. A-Sha said,

June 22, 2008 at 5:28 pm

I applied because I wanted to use it for Paypal yet it was denied. WTF. And the Maybank guy said I can use it online. WTF o.O

18. wan said,

July 5, 2008 at 12:16 am

hey guys, try affinbank debit mastercard. I did a lot of transaction using paypal at ebay with this card. it’s work great :)

19. e1s said,

August 13, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Which Public bank card debit is similar to this 1? Im abit confuse, never used CC b4

20. Musfafirdaus said,

August 24, 2008 at 9:07 am

Why is my maybank Visa Card cannot be added as PayPal varrified card.. I’m confuse..

21. Faizli said,

September 24, 2008 at 5:18 pm

now in September, but still can use Maybank Visa Debit for e-commerce… :-?

22. Faizli said,

September 24, 2008 at 5:19 pm

sory.. i mean can’t use

23. Butterfly84 said,

October 8, 2008 at 10:38 am

cannot purchase online with maybank visa debit card..the bank was just talking bullshit that customers can use the card to buy online. F***!!! such a big bank but they overlook a very important feature of buying online with their visa debit card!

24. lee said,

November 14, 2008 at 1:20 am

maybank officer told me i can used online payment with this visa debit card.
    LOL….i asked twice!…………….tonight my card declined..wth???
    not to be rude…but honestly..u guys sux!!!

25. Rosli said,

November 16, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Maybank debit card is suck, still cant use over internet transaction even now is November. The biggest bank in Malaysia still cant prove that they are the best bank ever……..

26. Billigflug said,

December 17, 2008 at 10:50 pm

Somebody had make experience with this new Maybank card?
    I´ve searched a long time for something new beacuse iam not so happy with my “old” card … If there´s somebody who knows answers, give me a request!

Greets

27. feeling c*** said,

December 22, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Maybank ah, ci*** lor, i very happy wanna shop on ebay, but then got declined, so i went to bank, i ask the officer, when he heard internet, he straight away gave me the paper of instructions to activate your account in http://www.maybank2u.com .i did the pin stuff at the atm, and went back and ask another staff, i told her i wanna buy things on ebay, i follow the steps to do in maybank website will do? she said yes! fuck! we cant use it on paypal!!!!

but if you use it in retail outlets like popular bookstore or pizza hut, it has no problem at all. Maybe the internet that they meant was only to allow us to do the banking and payments of phones and insurance in the maybank website. thats fucking all.

(a note from neowave: guys, please do not use vulgar wording in the comment pose – those *** are purposely censored by us)

28. FASHA said,

December 24, 2008 at 11:15 am

I have debit card visa but i dunno hw to use for my paypal account. pls adv

tqvm,
    fasha

29. Bibi said,

December 24, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Okie just tell me if i could change back the Maybankard Visa Debit to the old Maybankard Bankard..

Initially, I’m not too sure if I need the debit card as I just ’suka-suka’ go change it. I’ve been paying twice of the amount of card replacement fees because at first they wrote my bank account number which looks extremely ugly at the back of the card. So I went back and ask for a change which cause me paying another RM 12. By then, I feel so unease holding the card and thinking to change back to the previous bankard and it makes wanna do it straightly tonight after I read all of the comments above. Sign..

30. Ah kau said,

December 25, 2008 at 11:11 am

i just replaced my card to debit visa yesterday, hurm i’m very sad with their services coz the card cannot be intergrated with paypal. so that’s mean u can’t shop online.. oh :(

31. Frederick said,

December 31, 2008 at 2:20 am

I tried it ady….for local use is absolutely cool…but for internet…i hope they can include the paypal asap…cos this is the reason i apply for maybank debit…

32. Andrie Ahmad said,

January 22, 2009 at 11:14 am

Its January now… still can’t use the card for online transaction. Sucks!

33. kenji said,

January 22, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I got this card too in December 2008, but can’t get it as my verified card in PayPal. =(( And I applied this card specially for online shopping… =((((

34. anis said,

March 1, 2009 at 12:27 am

Maybank debit card SUCK!!!!!!!!

35. Sloane said,

April 8, 2009 at 2:17 pm

For those of you who paid RM12 to upgrade to Maybank Debit card – it’s a total rip-off. You can’t use it for paypal or other international websites that say they accept visa cards. And I found out that each time you swipe your card to get petrol, it takes RM200 out of your account.

Due to my own mistake, I swiped it twice because I couldn’t enter the amount I wanted on the keypad of this particular station I don’t usually fuel up at. So, there goes RM400 for RM20+RM10 worth of petrol!!!!

For people who may need the cashflow, RM400 is too much for Maybank to take out and hold for no good reason for 7 DAYS!!!! Then they will credit the balance back into your account. So, I will have to wait up to 7 DAYS to get back RM370. Suppose I needed the cashflow at a particular time of the month? It would be such an inconvenience.

The Maybank dude didn’t tell me about this inconvenience. He said it’s just like how I used my ATM before. Since I have been using Maybank ATM for petrol (Petronas), Jusco, retail shops etc for years, the guy gave me the impression it’s the same thing except I get to use it at more places. He didn’t give me any pamphlet to explain, just said I can check my transactions online. (As if I haven’t been doing that all those years I’ve been using the ATM card.)

I think it’s important you let as many ppl know as possible. Mana tau, if you’re the type to fill petrol twice a week, RM50 each time….by the middle of the month, 4 kali isi sudah SHORT RM800!! Can tahan or not?????? Please tell everyone you know. My email is available for all to contact me to verify the TRUTH!

36. cy said,

May 1, 2009 at 1:06 am

Hi… the hold on Maybankcard visa is about RM150 is called the pre-authorization charge at service stations. its common, and has been in effect for many years now.

if you don’t want the bank to hold it, if i remember correctly, go to to the counter and pay. Don’t be lazy and don’t use at the petrol kiosk terminal itself. That is THE TRUTH. ^^

Carrying cash around maybe “uncool” but it is still safer than having your Visa maybank Debit card swiped by strangers. I had tht experience, and decided to switch back to the yellow Maybankcard.

ANd yes, the Visa Debit card cannot be used for online purchases. Get over it!

37. kiwi said,

June 6, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Its not all that bad. Although Im not sure with the online purchases (go get yourselves a credit card for goodness’s sake), but it can be used overseas, be it at retails or withdrawing money from the ATM. The rates are lower than credit card’s with no interest fees…

38. Woo said,

August 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I have etrade debit card and now i cant withdraw money out from malaysia atm machine. Everyone know how to withdraw out the money by using etrade debit card?

39. IcedNyior said,

August 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm

The Maybank Debit Card can be used to verify your paypal account. Not too sure about withdrawing or letting paypal get money from it because I’ve not tried.

Here’s a tutorial on how to do it :http://me.zestful.org/2009/08/tutorial-link-maybank-visa-debit-card-with-paypal/

40. khairiel ezranee said,

September 3, 2009 at 10:53 pm

maybank debit card sucks..

41. Andy said,

October 30, 2009 at 11:33 am

too bad still don’t know what is paypal? I guess their technology are still way behind others, or they just coward and don’t want to take risk. I can easily register my affinbank debit card in paypal

42. Nickles said,

October 31, 2009 at 1:09 am

may i ask whether tis Maybank visa debit card wil b charged a monthly fee?or annual fee?

43. New Maybank Visa Debit Card Not Usable for PayPal - slowcatchupkuan said,

November 5, 2009 at 6:07 pm

[...] the benefits of the new visa card is that you accumulate ‘treats’ points everytime you use the card. The points could [...]

44. Nasha said,

November 7, 2009 at 1:40 pm

hi all ..
    it’s pretty bad, heard of all your frustrations ..
    here is something to cheer u up .. check this out !

Will let you know if I made it!

45. weishing said,

January 8, 2010 at 2:57 pm

why my debit card cannot use to buy cinema tickets online?im not understand.pls reply me

46. siva said,

February 24, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Maybank visa debit card same like old bank card. nothing diferrence. Useless…..!!

47. zerobyte said,

March 12, 2010 at 4:06 am

I’m one of you guys that switched to Visa Debit for online transaction Credit Card style. The reason why I switch was that I was convinced by the officers AND the brochure/pamphlet stating it obviously.

After a few frustrated online trial, I called up MBB and I argued about the online-able as ‘advertised’. They say the service is not active yet, it will in the future. Well, it has been a year or so…

SO, instead of us whining here and all over the internet (which MBB won’t be able to ‘hear’ anyways), there are a few channel that WE, the fooled consumers, can vent to. And since it was ADVERTISED, this means unfair practice/advertisement by MBB. Complain to one of these channel:

Suruhanjaya Komunikasi Dan Multimedia Malaysia

National Consumer Complaints Centre

Consumer Forum malaysia

I’ve did couple of complaints toward some big company & institution and it really worked. Complained at Streamyx for Unfair Practice on bandwidth-throttling on Rapidshare – next day Streamyx called me, gave BS and a promised it would be fixed soon – and viola! 3-4 days later i got fast connection :)

PLEASE give it a try. Thanks